CORBA's not boring yet. / XML in an OS?

spreitze at parc.xerox.com spreitze at parc.xerox.com
Fri Feb 5 00:21:30 GMT 1999

> This brings up a related question regarding XML and interchanging data
> between web servers. Is there something like IIOP for this? I mean an
> overlaying protocol to establish, manage and break bi-direction XML traffic.
> I know that ...
> But it seems to me that this approach just utilizes normal HTTP, which seems
> to be ill-designed in the way of bi-directional data flow. Is someone
> working on an more elborate mechanism for this? Do we need a XIOP?

The HTTP-NG effort (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP-NG/) is working on factoring HTTP-NG into three layers, the lower two of which seem to be what you're asking for.  I think you should be asking for something less elaborate, rather than more elaborate, than HTTP/1 --- and the lower two layers of HTTP-NG should give you that.

Mike

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)