SAX, Java, and Namespaces (was Re: Restricted Namespacesfor XML)

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Fri Feb 5 01:46:56 GMT 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 07:35 PM 2/4/99 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
> >Tyler Baker writes:
> >
> > > As of JDK 1.1.6 things are not so bad and Java 2 is a bit better
> >
> >No, unfortunately it's much worse -- the parser has to re-intern
> >*every* element name and attribute name during the parse, so if I have
> >6,000 attributes named 'foo', I have to invoke intern 6,000 times
> >(just for those attributes).  When I was writing AElfred, I got
> >something between a 10-30% speedup
>
> Lark too; and I just do lookup with binary search, nothing fancy,
> and the difference was huge.  What is Java actually doing I wonder? -T.

As I said before things have improved.  intern() is now native so there is really no excuse
that I can think of why it should still be slow (it is not as slow as it used to be but
calling it has roughly half the cost of calling new() now).  Nevertheless, the String class
should of had a static intern() method a long time ago that accepts a character array.  Boy
would it have been convenient...

Tyler

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)