Storing Lots of Fiddly Bits (was Re: What is XML for?)

Clark Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Fri Feb 5 05:02:36 GMT 1999

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> Another approach is to use data shaping to create hierarchical recordsets.

This is what I did at Ford Motor Co., it gets messy quick.
Even when the table is a snapshot.  Nothing like a big hierarchical
table with 400 columns. *evil grin*

> A third approach is to let the database vendors optimize the queries
> internally when XML is to be returned. This would seem to be the
> optimal situation and data shaping/OLAP techniques fit here ...
> remember "Arbor Software" is an OLAP vendor.

Nice.  This could be the beginnings of a
HDBMS/RDBMS blend.  That'd be cool.

The danger is thinking that OLAP (HDBMS) is the
total answer.  It is almost impossible to avoid
duplication in a hierarchical database.  For
transaction processing, I bet that a relational
database will still be the best solution.

Ballance,

Clark

software n :
  1. written programs or procedures or rules and
     associated documentation pertaining to the
     operation of a computer system.
  2. applied philosophy

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)