Fw: Namespaces does *not* formally introduce "global attributes"

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Fri Feb 5 15:33:11 GMT 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 07:16 PM 2/4/99 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
> >Actually, so far, pretty much everyone seems to have implemented
> >namespaces this way, and it's working like a charm: it's standard in
> >the very popular Perl XML:Parser module (which uses Expat)
>
> Seconded.  Here's the example I use to teach namespaces to perl programmers;
> they get it instantly

That they get it instantly is no surprise: the example does not handle the
case which the rcommendation leave open to various interpretations. If the
example is to be pertinent, please extend it to illustrate the "unqualified
attribute name" case, ideally in the presence of both default and explicitly
qualified namespaces for the respective element "type". Then please make the
recommendation say the same thing (by assertion rather than negation).

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)