SAX, Java, and Namespaces (was Re: Restricted Namespaces forXML)

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Feb 5 17:38:26 GMT 1999

At 08:00 AM 2/5/99 -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:
>I don't think that "average developers" need to worry about namespaces. It
>is quite simple to build powerful, useful applications without them.

Yes, it's possible, but it seems crystal clear to me that a year or
so from now, the "average XML document", were such a thing to exist,
would have namespaces.  Office 2000 is full of 'em.  RDF is full of
'em.  And if nothing else, old-fashioned document wrangling is, I
predict, going to be dipping regularly into namespaces like, for
example, HTML.

Which is why it really is a problem that something that we tried so
hard to make simple is being perceived (rightly or wrongly) as
complex and intimidating. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)