Colonialism, SAX, Java, and Namespaces

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Fri Feb 5 21:12:40 GMT 1999

Paul Prescod wrote:

> XSL uses namespaces and nobody finds them confusing. Because XSL provides
> an intuitive context and interface to the namespace concept. But take that
> concept out of context and people will get confused.

I have seen one XSL Stylesheet example posted by a newbie that dealt with namespaces.  The
fact that no one is using this supplement to XML called "Namespaces in XML" can be construed
that namespaces are either too complicated or too usesless to be of any utility to these
"average developers".

Yah, I may be just one of the many people here complaining about namespaces, but would you
rather deal with people who take a look at "Namespaces in XML" and say "what the heck is this
mumbo jumbo" and ignore namespaces altogether.  Any specification or so-called standard that
does not achieve some level of concensus among its intended audience is nothing more than a
glorified document with a bunch of "expert" names on them.  Unless the W3C is in the business
of wasting the time and money of its membership, I suspect that someone in the organization
will be sensitive to the some of the "Namespaces in XML" concerns of this budding XML
developer community.  If the W3C simply ignores everyone, then everyone will eventually ignore
the W3C.  It is that simple.

Tyler

BTW, I would probably not be wasting so much of my time on this whole "Namespaces in XML"
issue if the entire "Namespaces in XML" spec were not incorporated into the XSL draft
(something I care much more about).

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)