RDF (was Re: Colonialism, SAX, Java, and Namespaces)

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Sun Feb 7 00:00:09 GMT 1999

At 02:59 6/02/1999 , Jerome McDonough wrote:

  | I would argue, actually, that most average developers are going to have
  | to deal with RDF.  With the proliferation of information that all
  | organizations are having to cope with, metadata to keep track of the
  | information will be more and more essential.  And RDF seems to be gaining
  | significant mindshare as the way to store metadata among the SGML/XML
  | crowd.  If that trend continues, any developer working in medium-to-large
  | organizations is going to be dealing with RDF, and hence, namespaces.
  | This doesn't necessarily argue for any changes in the namespace spec,
  | but assumptions that the average developer isn't going to have to deal
  | with RDF (or any other metadata encoding standard) may be a bit rash.

Talking about RDF ...

At the last XML conference in Sydney, there was a speaker presenting
this wonderful new standard called RDF.

I took the opportunity to ask a few questions ...

Since RDF uses namespaces, it obviously doesn't have
a DTD.

Now since the intention is to store a lot of data in
RDF, how do we check that a RDF file is correct
and meaningful?

How do we validate it?

(Yes, this is a naive question.)

James Robertson