Namespaces and DTDs was RE: Namespaces and interoperability (was Re: SAX, Java, and Namespaces)

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Sun Feb 7 13:59:35 GMT 1999

yes, it has been suggested before, and yes it does work. note that, as one is
using the uri-bindings, one does not "use the namespace prefix".
if the prefixes in the dtd are not identical with those in the document, then
one need only establish scoping rules the bindings effected by attlist
declarations.

note that the approach is unorthodox. it violates one of the unspoken
namespace tenets: that they do not affect the validity of a document. time
will tell if this holds up.

please note, that your example happens to have an unbound "html" prefix. it is
missing an attlist declaration to the effect of

<!ATTLIST html:p
          xmlns:html CDATA #DEFAULT "urn:aaa" >

i would also suggest that the attlist-based binding is to be preferred to
deferring the disambiguation until the document is read: it does not preclude
alternative prefixes while at the same time making it possible to determine
whether the dtd is complete before beginning to parse/process the document.

Borden, Jonathan wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
> >
> > If you have a DTD, then namespaces are irrelevant: they simply
> > don't work together in any meaningful way.

The "any" in this statement is in error.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)