RDF (was Re: Colonialism, SAX, Java, and Namespaces)

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Sun Feb 7 22:23:20 GMT 1999

At 01:42 8/02/1999 , Paul Prescod wrote:

  | James Robertson wrote:
  | >

  | > Now since the intention is to store a lot of data in
  | > RDF, how do we check that a RDF file is correct
  | > and meaningful?
  | >
  | > How do we validate it?
  |
  | There is such a thing as an "RDF schema". It checks an almost disjoint set
  | of things from what a DTD would check. If you don't care about things
  | being in a particular order and want to treat linking and containment as
  | the same thing, then you should use RDF schemas. If you do care about the
  | order of things, you should use DTDs. You could also use them together to
  | check different things.

Maybe I just haven't woken up enough this morning yet, but I'm not
quite sure what all of this means.

So I'll restate the question:

* I write an RDF document by hand.
* I receive an RDF document from someone else.

How do I know it makes sense? How do I know the right
RDF tags have been used, and in a meaningful way?

In otherwords, since an RDF document doesn't have a DTD
(since it uses namespaces), how do I check it's right?

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy
http://www.steptwo.com.au/