Storing Lots of Fiddly Bits (was Re: What is XML for?)

Bill la Forge b.laforge at jxml.com
Mon Feb 8 03:24:16 GMT 1999

This seems similar to the conclusions I've reached. On the one hand,
most processes can be driven by a set of object created directly from
the SAX events, just using a filter or two to do the transformation.

On the other hand, when there is information which must alternately exist
as a set of application objects or an XML document, then the DOM
seems to be appropriate for modeling the structure of the document.
This is in addition to applications where navigating the document is
important.

The proposal here is to have a common api, MDSAX or something like
it, which can serve as a framework for transforming XML into the appropriate
application objects; and to have a set of filters that plug into that framework
for creating a DOM, when appropriate.

(I have a new hammer. Forgive me if I experiment a bit with nails, screws,
pieces of wire, and thumb tacks. I'm not sure what the limits of this tool
are just yet.)

Bill

From: uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com <uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com>

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)