Storing Lots of Fiddly Bits (was Re: What is XML for?)

uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Mon Feb 8 05:30:43 GMT 1999

> Or said another way: there's no magic in the DOM (or groves or XML) that
> will make storing and managing business objects easier.

I think this is the crux of the matter, and exactly what the "XML is not a
universal hammer" folks (myself included) have been trying to get across.

I use XML heavily along-side CORBA, and (by way of weak excuse/apology for my
rather ad hominem attack on Dave Winer yesterday) I do get very frustrated
when people champion using XML to replace very effective and general
object-management systems.  As much as I hate analogies, I'll hazard one: if
you sell people Aspirin as a panacea, and they later on find out that it
doesn't cure warts, cancer, dropsy or a crack habit, they might become sour
enough to forget that it was actually a very effective pain-reliever.

Then again, as Jonathan Borden put it: who am I?

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)