Fw: "Clean Specs"

Oren Ben-Kiki oren at capella.co.il
Mon Feb 8 18:55:20 GMT 1999

Tyler Baker <tyler at infinet.com> wrote:
>In effect "Namespaces in XML" either makes using the DOM completely
useless.  In fact, in
>order for the DOM to be   made useful in the presence of "Namespaces in
XML" you would have to
>make a lot of changes that are not backwards compatible with the Level 1
recommendation.  This
>in practical terms would make using the DOM in an XSL Processor pretty much
pointless (all XSL
>Processors I know of other than XT use the DOM as the source tree, and some
even use it as the
>stylesheet tree as well).  If you mutate the source tree, then everything
is hosed.

What's wrong with doing the '^' expansion when building the DOM? Names would
become context  independent, but still unique, using the current interfaces.
Then a bit of magic to the output module: (i) keep track of 'xmlns'
attributes, and emit names accordingly and (ii) either throw an exception of
invent a prefix on the fly if you encounter a namespace which wasn't
declared yet. Is re-working the DOM _really_ necessary?

I _really_ wish this whole namespace recommendation was specified this way
from the start.

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)