"Namespaces in XML" idea?

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Tue Feb 9 20:53:54 GMT 1999

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Tyler Baker
> |
> | It would be nice if and when the namespaces recommendation is
> | updated if it mas made a formality that a conforming namespace aware
> | processor strips namespace nodes from the document model before
> | presenting the parsed content to the application.
>
> Do you think this is really necessary? I think in some cases it would
> be desirable to see them, and in most cases not. So even if this
> change is made I think it should be "at user option".

At least for interfaces like SAX I think this default "user option" should be to strip
namespace nodes.

> Anyway, it's a rather obvious user option, so methinks there isn't all
> that much need to mention it in the spec. The xmlproc namespace code
> currently has an option that lets the user decide whether the
> declaration attribute should be reported or not.

Yah that is true.  I would just argue that the default should be to strip for the sake of
consistency among XML namespaces processors or else the option not to strip should be a
proprietary feature of an XML namespaces processor and that formal conformance should be for
namespace processors to strip namespace nodes before presenting them to the application.

Tyler

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)