RDF, Namespaces, and Versioning?

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Wed Feb 10 17:25:38 GMT 1999

>When you design something, it helps to have several
>"use cases" that describe _how_ the software/standard/etc.
>will/could be used to solve a real world problem.  This
>is what I'm after.  How does one do versioning?

Don't try to make namespaces do too much. Namespaces are for universal
names. Anything else, whether it be validating mixed vocabulary documents or
versioning schemata, is going to have to rely on a mechanism other than
namespaces (although namespaces might be part of the solution).

XSL is an excellent example of namespaces in action. XSL has its own
template vocabulary and this vocabulary gets mixed with whatever vocabulary
is used for the result tree. To avoid possible name clashes between names in
the template vocabulary and those in whatever vocabulary is used for the
result tree, you can use names spaces.

James

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)