The Peace Process: DOM and namespaces...

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Thu Feb 11 01:00:47 GMT 1999

Andrew,

>Don Park suggests that we could "establish a business practice requiring
all
>URI used as namespace name to
>not contain any illegal XML name characters."  That rules out "/", thereby
>limiting namespaces to second-tier domain names and similar unsegmented
>names. That goes against the desire for unlimited scalability and the goal
>to allow _anyone_ to create namespace names as they need to.

I guess what I am proposing is a creation of a new URI scheme for XML
Namespace that is more friendly to namespace-ignorant applications.  The URI
production rules are defined as:

uri ::= scheme : path [ ? search ]

We can use 'xmlns' as the URI scheme name, outlaw the optional search
segment, and then use Java package naming scheme for the path.  Here is an
example:

<dh:foo xmlns:dh="xmlns:com.docuverse.dom.html." dh:bar="foobar"/>

which expands to:

<xmlns:com.docuverse.dom.html.foo
xmlns:com.docuverse.dom.html.bar="foobar"/>

I don't think this proposal goes against the desire and goals you mentioned.
Please remember that I am just shooting from the hip right now and have not
yet formed any opinion about whether this solution will be good or not.

Comments?

Don Park
Docuverse

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)