The Peace Process: DOM and namespaces...

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Thu Feb 11 05:42:07 GMT 1999

Bill la Forge wrote:

> From: Don Park <donpark at quake.net>
> >We can use 'xmlns' as the URI scheme name, outlaw the optional search
> >segment, and then use Java package naming scheme for the path.
>
> Don, I think there is an easier answer:
>
>     Convert URLs to package names.
>
> For example,
>     www.jxml.com/mdsax
> becomes
>     com.jxml.www.mdsax
>
> We can still allow considerable freedom in the format of the URI.
> And yes, there is a risk of introducing non-uniqueness. But a
> reasonable choice of URI eliminates this risk.

But then again, why would you need namespaces at all for this since package names are intended
to be unique.  All you would need to do is follow a convention that your XML names would be
"package" + "type".

Of course that is a framework I wrote about a year ago that works nicely and is far simpler
and more maintainable than "Namespaces in XML" and that idea took about 10 minutes and not an
entire year.  Of course you have been doing a lot of exciting things with Coins and MDSAX that
deal with the "unique names issue" and the W3C to my knowledge does not even know you exist
(-:

Tyler

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)