The Peace Process: DOM and namespaces...

Rick Ross rick at activated.com
Thu Feb 11 12:35:18 GMT 1999

David,

It's true that there may be ambiguities in the specs, and there may even be
special extensions within some XML and DOM implementations that extend the
specs to add the capabilities we seem to need to provide truly effective and
efficient support for namespaces in XML.

The issue is, however, that we're trying to stick to the standards as
rigorously as possible. We want to implement compliance with the namespaces
in XML recommendation, and we want to do it effectively using plain-vanilla
implementations of the DOM Level 1. To create or rely on non-standard
extensions would be a tough pill to swallow - it would be so much better if
it were possible to use only the existing (finished and unfinished)
standards.

The specs in the XML space are evolving fast, and this progress is a credit
to the hard work of many well-intentioned and brilliant people - I have no
intention of impugning it.

It would be good for business, however, if there were planned "synch points"
where groups of related and interdependent specs reached a targeted level of
overall functionality together - in a compatible way.

Tim Bray noted that perhaps the best solution here is to urge that support
for namespaces in XSL be deferred until the next phase - so that initial XSL
applications will not face the complexity and performance hit imposed by
existing specs that do not deliver enough of what each other needs yet.

Regards,
Rick

The specs related to XML are

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)