The Peace Process: DOM and namespaces...

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Thu Feb 11 12:57:10 GMT 1999

David Megginson wrote:

> Tyler Baker writes:
>
>  > It is not hard to support namespaces in an XML parser, but it is
>  > far harder to deal with them at the application level.  Just
>  > because all the tools support namespaces, does not mean that anyone
>  > is using them outside of a few niche applications.  Like another
>  > list member recently said "where is the content"?
>
> Every RDF document out there (a small but growing number), every XSL
> stylesheet, every HTML Voyager document, most schema implementations,
> etc., etc.

These are W3C applications of "Namespaces" and are not from independent sources.  I am
speaking of content outside of the scope and control of the W3C.  I am only dealing with
namespaces in XSL because it is in effect being forced on me.  I am not using it by choice.
Proof of an original application which chooses to use "Namespaces in XML" would help
invalidate my doubts as to "Namespaces in XML" having any use outside of the W3C specs.

Tyler

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)