The Peace Process: DOM and namespaces...

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Thu Feb 11 13:36:19 GMT 1999

Don Park writes:

 > I guess what I am proposing is a creation of a new URI scheme for XML
 > Namespace that is more friendly to namespace-ignorant applications.  The URI
 > production rules are defined as:
 >
 > uri ::= scheme : path [ ? search ]
 >
 > We can use 'xmlns' as the URI scheme name, outlaw the optional search
 > segment, and then use Java package naming scheme for the path.
 > [...]

That seems like a very elaborate workaround to the very simple (and
temporary) problem that the interfaces are lagging a little behind the
specs.

Name munging for SAX and the DOM works fine, as long as the
application knows to expect it (i.e. the application should
specifically request it; munged names should not come down by
surprise).  As a matter of fact, I am pretty much convinced to keep
name munging for SAX 1.1, but with an explicit mechanism for enabling
or disabling namespace processing (as we've been discussing here).
DOM, being more elegant, will probably develop a Name interface for
2.0.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com