The Peace Process: DOM and namespaces...

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Thu Feb 11 16:45:59 GMT 1999

At 03:45 PM 2/11/99 +0000, Michael.Kay at icl.com wrote:
>Don Park:
>> We can use 'xmlns' as the URI scheme name, outlaw the optional search
>> segment, and then use Java package naming scheme for the
>> path.  Here is an example:
>>
>> <dh:foo xmlns:dh="xmlns:com.docuverse.dom.html." dh:bar="foobar"/>
>>
>Great suggestion. One of the biggest sources of confusion about namespaces
>is that many of the examples use URI's beginning with "http://", which leads
>people (and too-clever-by-half software) to think that the URI is referring
>to a resource accessible via the HTTP protocol.

Agreed - except that some spec writers (_if_ I remember right, I think
including RDF) want that URL to actually point to something that _can_  be
used by the processor.  The namespaces spec itself avoids doing this, but
other specs can take that approach on their own recognizance.  (I don't
believe it's prohibited.)

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (April)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)