DOM vs. SAX??? Nah. (was RE: Storing Lots of Fiddly Bits (was Re: What is XML for?)

Bill la Forge b.laforge at jxml.com
Fri Feb 12 16:15:20 GMT 1999

From: David Megginson <david at megginson.com>
>...  It hardly makes sense to have
>
>  startElement(String name, org.xml.sax.AttributeList atts)
>
>when you could simply have
>
>  startElement(org.w3c.dom.Element element)

The advantage of SAX is its independence from DOM,
as that allows for the development of SAX components
(filters) which can be used for
    1. Preprocessing events before they are used to build the DOM;
    2. DOM construction;
    3. Output formatting from a DOM or without a DOM;
    4. Simple document transformations.

What I'm more inclined to do in this SAX/DOM marriage,
is to create an alternative to the SAX helper class, AttributeListImpl,
which also implements
      public Attr setAttribute(Attr newAttr);
and
      public Attr removeAttribute(String name);
and
      public Attr getAttribute(String name);

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)