URIs as IDs in ModSAX

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Feb 17 20:42:51 GMT 1999

Dan Brickley wrote:

> I disagree. The string 'util.tools.png' is as meaningless in the Java
> community as in the wider world. The Java package naming convention has
> the look but not the substance of a hieararchically managed namespace.
> 'util.tools.png' does not uniquely name anything except within the
> context of a group of consenting adults who've agreed a set of
> conventions for doing so.

Well, that name is in the "private use" part of the Java package
namespace.  But "org.ccil.cowan.sax.DOMParser" *is* hierarchically
managed:  "org.ccil" is a reversed domain name, by the rules of
clause 7.7 of the JLS[1]; the "cowan" part is assigned to me by
the ccil.org Java package agreement; and the rest is up to me.

>From which we learn that every domain ought to have a Java package
assignment convention.

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/html/7.doc.html#40169

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org