XML Information Set Requirements and XP

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Fri Feb 19 19:28:00 GMT 1999

At 10:41 AM 2/19/99 -0800, Jeffrey E. Sussna wrote:
>I completely agree with Clark. As someone working with real-time XML
>streams, I think this is very important. In particular, the whole
>notion of "document" needs to be thought through very carefully in
>the context of 1999, rather than the context of 1990 when SGML was
>developed.

One sign of how much the context has changed is this proposal for using XML
as the foundation for a network protocol:  XP, the Extensible Protocol.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-harding-extensible-protocol-00.txt

Other proposals, like XML-RPC, have gone similar places, but this is really
_wide_ open.  Interesting food for thought.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (April)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)