Confusion about conditional sections

David Brownell db at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Feb 19 21:01:47 GMT 1999

roddey at us.ibm.com wrote:

> Ok, I'm confused about a conditional section issue that some of my
> colleagues were discussing...
>
> Once you see a conditional ignore section, can you effectively just scan
> for <![ and ]]> parts of the text inside there without actually doing
> regular parsing? Is there a reason that this cannot be done?

I'd say you MUST do this.

Consider this sort of structure, which I found in a version of
the XML Docbook DTD:

	<![ %TOGGLE1; [
		<!ENTITY % something "contents">
	]]>
	<![ %TOGGLE2; [
		<!ELEMENT %something; ANY>
	]]>

That is, if you tried to parse the contents of the second conditional
section and something like the first one hadn't been parsed, you would
be in undeserved trouble.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)