XML Information Set Requirements, W3C Note 18-February-1999

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Sun Feb 21 12:54:07 GMT 1999

>Nathan Kurz wrote:
>
>> And if the stream is continuous (for example, an XML
>> stock ticker) even the concept of a well-formed stream seems tenuous.
>
>It's not clear that XML supports infinitely long streams (where the
>end-tag of the document element is *never* reached).

I remember bringing this issue up long time ago under a different name:
Endless Documents.  There was no single solution to this problem that worked
for all situations.  For certain applications, using well-formed external
entities worked.  Low-level data multiplexing works.  Protocol tunneling
sometimes needs to be used to get around legacy problems.

The fact that DTD had to be declared at the head of a document and could not
be changed or augmented afterward poses problems but I am hoping that the
Schema WG will address this soon.

Don Park
Docuverse

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)