layering specs

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Mon Feb 22 02:20:57 GMT 1999

Rob Schoening writes:
>This has all the makings of a written langauge that is too difficult to
>speak because the ideosycrasies of the written grammer gum up the "higher"
>levels.
>
>This is why no one speaks latin.  This is why it was so difficult for
>programmers to communicate with each other without switching to another
>langauge altogether (like UML).
>
>This layered approach to XML is burying its potential.

I hope you just mean this particular (mis)layering, not layered approaches
in general.  I'm hoping to finish up my essay "Toward A Layered Model for
XML" this week - the rough draft is still at
http://www.simonstl.com/articles/layering/layered.htm.  I've had lots of
hits on it, but very few comments back.

If anyone thinks layering specs and layering processing is a good or bad
idea, please let me know.  (Off list if it's only appropriate to the essay,
on list if you feel it connects to important XML development issues with a
wide audience.)

Never really tried to speak Latin, though my brother did for one fun summer
in Rome...

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (April)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)