Streaming XML? [was Re: XML Information Set Requirements..]

Tim.Shaw at wdr.com Tim.Shaw at wdr.com
Mon Feb 22 09:39:42 GMT 1999

     This was one of my initial concerns on the DOM - I too will be working
     on ticker-type streams.

     I nearly jumped in early in this conversation to agree with the
     'others' - ie the SAX approach is just as important as DOM and the 2
     should both be of similar (standards) status.

     I held off because I'm new to XML, and I wasn't sure if my alternative
     wasn't too obvious to mention.

     I thought that each tick should be treated as a document. The client
     would have to arrange that each 'document' so received would have to
     be built, and then a document fragment extracted and inserted into a
     client-held document (updating display etc. via DOM events as
     appropriate).

     This approach requires the client of the XML data-source to be aware
     of this of course, which may be a killer for genericity.

     Am I way off base here - and if so, could someone point me to current
     thinking on this issue (I've browsed _a lot_ and seen little/nothing).

     Thanks

     tim