Streaming XML (Was RE: XML Information Set Requirements, W3C Note 18-February-1999)

Mark Birbeck Mark.Birbeck at iedigital.net
Tue Feb 23 18:10:21 GMT 1999

len bullard wrote:
> Mark Birbeck wrote:
> > A consistent theme in this discussion forum is that people
> always want
> > every major breakthrough that has been made by XML to be
> removed, under
> > the pretence of coping with some 'special circumstances'.
> If you think
> > about it, it is quite unique in the history of software
> engineering to
> > have an agreed standard which allows us to check whether a
> document that
> > we had no part in designing the layout for, is valid.
>
> Not to be tendentious, but some of us having been doing that for at
> least a generation now.  SGML works.

Hello Len, I was using my words carefully! SGML has of course been
around for a while, and been very important for document management and
generation. But in the world of software engineering we are constantly
reinventing the wheel; coming up with new file formats, parsers,
transmission mechanisms, and so on. So, in the world I'm in, XML *is* a
unique and unprecedented contribution.

Regards,

Mark

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)