Streams, protocols, documents and fragments

Tim.Shaw at wdr.com Tim.Shaw at wdr.com
Wed Feb 24 16:14:56 GMT 1999

     I agree with the arguments so far - just send lots of little
     documents, and the protocol is just a layer on top, to be removed by
     the input stream processor.

     But, isn't the example below not wf XML - it doesn't seem to have a
     prolog?

     I have no problem with that either - again, you need a client side
     stream processor to pick apart the XML ... what do I call them? FSA
     'chunks' ... chunks and, using some client side determination, add the
     prolog - and then pass it to the XML parser as a WF (and hopefully
     valid) XML document.

     This is 'trivial', and interleaving the protocol stuff is no great
     problem (plenty of examples, and I've done it at least 5 times for
     different socket-based systems).

     My concern tho' is that we require a piece of Client-side stream
     processing logic to pick up the XML 'chunks' and convert them to Valid
     WF XML - and this is not standard (read 'generally agreed' to avoid
     mention of inertia).

     Fun tho'

     tim