MIME types vs. DOCTYPE (was RE: ANNOUNCE: New XHTML WD)

Bill la Forge b.laforge at jxml.com
Thu Feb 25 00:55:18 GMT 1999

From: Tim Bray <tbray at textuality.com>

>At 02:49 PM 2/24/99 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>>The name of the root element is locally-scoped to the document itself,
>
>Yes, but what if it wasn't?  It just dawned on me that if you had
>*two* header parameters for text/html, one being the namespace URI of
>the root, the other being its type, that would really give you a lot
>of help in identifying what kind of thing this is.
>
>E.g., if the namespace URI is http://www.w3.org/html40 (or whatever
>they decide to use) and the root type is <html>, well, you know
>pretty well what you're dealing with.

This is exactly the direction we're moving with MDSAX. Events prior to
the root element (PIs) are queued. The root element then dictates how
the document will be processed. All we really need to do here is extend
the documentRouter to be namespace aware.

This is work in progress, and it seems reasonable to say that you can
expect to see it in the MDSAX1.0 production release.

Bill

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)