events vs callbacks (was Re: SAX2 (was Re: DOM vs. SAX??? Nah. ))

Paul Rabin rabin at shore.net
Thu Feb 25 17:09:47 GMT 1999

At 08:05 AM 2/25/99 -0800, Gabe Beged-Dov wrote:

>There is alot of discussion of data models vs API. I would like to see
>control flow added to the axes that people argue about :-).

Yes.  In particular, the current model does not support having a single
application (or filter) handle input streams from multiple concurrent
parsers (or filters), since the parser owns the thread of control until the
parse completes.

Rather than changing the callback model, we could implement a compromise
solution:

 - parseInit() // initialize the parse state

 - nextParseEvent() // cause the next event to be delivered via callback

All of the multi-threading logic could be hidden in a layer on top of
existing parsers.

	- Paul Rabin

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)