Streams, protocols, documents and fragments

Tom Harding tomh at thinlink.com
Thu Feb 25 18:34:11 GMT 1999

David Megginson wrote:

> It's not necessarily the raw XML that will be delivered to the
> application, however

How about we create an architecture where it is?  I have a sample implementation of XP where an
endpoint fires an event when it has received a document.  The event wraps a DOM Document, so
the XML has been parsed, but any real processing, such as rendering, is still up to the
application.

This architecture doesn't really work with SAX, since you might attach long-running code to a
handler.  In this architecture, events don't occur at the element level; they correspond to the
network-level event of receiving a complete document.  You have lots of document "packets"
flying around.  What you do with them is up to you.

Tom Harding

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)