Jonathan Borden jborden at mediaone.net
Fri Feb 26 14:29:33 GMT 1999

MURATA Makoto wrote:

> I am a co-author of RFC 2376 (XML media types).   I am attaching two
> of my e-mails about text/xml and application/xml.
>
> I am quite sympathetic to Jonathan, but I do not think that the URI
> of the DTD is always appropiate.  Tim's suggestion (a namespace URI plus
> the root element type) sounds very interesting.

	I was not suggesting that the URI be the URI of the DTD, rather that this
be a 'standalone' URI in the same fashion of the namespace URI.

	This provides the same type of unique document type identification as does
the namespace URI without predicating the existence of a DTD. In some cases
the DTD URI might be appropriate, in other cases a schema URI might be
appropriate, in other cases a uuid.

	In your attached e-mails there are several excellent solutions to this
problem in a similar vein. Use of a Content-Type parameter for text/xml and
application/xml has the same expressiveness as a distinct header, and since
we are in reality subtyping the content type this is perhaps more
appropriate, and would easily fit into RFC 2376.

	I assume that this parameter could be used with other content-types such as
text/sgml?

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)