Internationalization and naming

david at megginson.com david at megginson.com
Mon Jan 4 21:24:12 GMT 1999

Andrew Layman writes:

 > I don't follow your point about a schema killing lightweight
 > processing.  Any sort of mapping--such as might be indicated in a
 > schema--would require obtaining the mapping rules and running a
 > processor.  And I also see that it would be useful to be able to
 > process a document without doing any mapping.  But would this not
 > be equally true of of any mapping scheme, whether AFs, mappings
 > packaged with schema, XSL-based or other?

Absolutely correct -- what I mean by "light-weight" processing is
processing a document without reference to an external schema.

Namespaces do allow this, even though namespace processing itself is
non-trivial; I'd suggest that any name-mapping scheme should do the
same.  Simon's suggestion, as I recall, was to do the schema
processing upstream (perhaps on the server side).

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/