Internationalization and naming

Murray Maloney murray at muzmo.com
Mon Jan 4 22:48:31 GMT 1999

At 02:28 PM 1/4/99 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>I'm glad I'm not the first to come up with this, and glad to see as well
>that the idea's had a reasonably full expression.  Aliasing seems not to be
>in DCD, and I know we didn't provide it in XSchema.

Since we're on the topic, SOX offers equivalence like so:

	<elementtype name="livre">
		<instanceof name="book"/>
	</elementtype>

	<elementtype name="auteur">
		<instanceof name="author"/>
	</elementtype>

This example allows <livre> in lieu of <book>
and <auteur> in lieu of <author>

And SOX namespace  allow you to create local aliases for
elements, attributes, entities, and notations defined in
any included namespace.

	<include name="loc" namespace="http://www.loc.gov"/>

	<elementtype name="livre">
		<instanceof namespace="loc" name="book"/>
	</elementtype>

	<elementtype name="auteur">
		<instanceof namespace="loc" name="author"/>
	</elementtype>

This example allows <livre> in lieu of <loc:book>
and <auteur> in lieu of <loc:author>

Localizing a SOX schema definition can be a simple remapping
of the names of elements and attributes -- or a more complex
remapping that adds new level in the document structure,
adds to a base element's content model or attribute list,
or redefines attributes and entities.

For more info on SOX, see http://www.w3.org/Submission/1998/15/

Regards,

Murray