Internationalization and naming

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Tue Jan 5 17:52:57 GMT 1999

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> [In] XML [...] you can name your elements and attributes whatever
> you like - but it seems likely to crop up again any time people and
> organizations go to build document standards using XML.
>
> Will English vocabularies be used, or will other languages be used? [...]
> This seems like something that the next generation of schemas could address
> neatly, by providing room for something like a translation table,
> identifying elements and their 'standard' equivalents.

This strikes me as an ideal application of architectural forms
(as implemented in XAF: see http://www.megginson.com/XAF).
By specifying the desired standard form as an architecture,
you allow the element types to be locally meaningful, while
letting applications (XSL, validation, or whatever) to act)
on architectural element types.  XAF does the donkey work of
reducing one to the other.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)