FW: Why XML Over the Relational Model?

Jeffrey E. Sussna jes at kuantech.com
Tue Jan 5 20:23:55 GMT 1999

>XML is not optimized for update, retrieval, searching or anything else. It
>is optimized for interchange, interchange and interchange. So the question
>of the best persistence model for high-volume systems seems to me to boil
>down to a) "what data structure is fastest" and b) "what is the most
>convenient programatically." In other words, what data structures support
>business processes and with what sort of performance.

Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself. Beware the temptation to think that "XML is all and all is XML". XML is a great standard interchange language. Java is a great portable applications language. Neither were intended to solve all problems. Remember that a standard mechanism for moving information between two points places NO restrictions on how the information is represented or managed within each point. There are thousands of man-years worth of effort and products in the persistence space, that should be leveraged, not replaced.

Jeff Sussna

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)