Reserved names and documentation

Bryan Cooper bryan.cooper at veritas.com
Tue Jan 5 21:21:04 GMT 1999

I agree with this line of thinking.    There's a lot going on but I've got
deadlines to meet.  I think this would be tough if you are trying
to build a totally generic tool using XML since it means more and
more flavors coming at you.  Such a tool would be a moving target.

For some of us, we are not trying to handle arbitrary XML, but instead
have the luxury of using XML between different modules of our own projects.

Right now, therefore, I am doing my project
with plain XML and my own DTD as I don't see the other tools as far enough along
to justify their approach.  That is, I am on UNIX and using Python xmllib,
plus another C based "ltxml" which provides faster xml searching within
the various xml files generated by the project.  So right off, I get 2 good
xml tools into my project.  BTW, I have already done some serious
progress with just a few weeks of actual coding experience this way
in Python..

My review of the other tools for RDF and any other project is that they
aren't available yet for my project.  One reason though I want to use
XML now is so that at some point, I can incorporate those features into
my project.  Lets say I want later to use RDF because some tool is now
really going to help me with RDF files.  I can go back, update all the XML
files I have into an appropriate RDF format, and the new tool will work.
I would also have to update my program to handle parsing the
changed RDF tags.  While I am doing that, my old program and data
files will keep chugging along.

It may mean updating literally thousands of XML based files but hey, so what?
It won't take that long, and it will work.   (I may even put in RDF
syntax now but ignore it...)  I think XML is a good
starting point for different projects because it is opening the door
for tools that can all work from the same type of data.     In
that sense, it is equivalent to SQL as a method of data storage.
For my current project, XML is a method of command storage, where
I am creating commands , options, parameters, keywords, metadata
all in XML.  The type of user data I am working with would make RDF a natural
choice in addition to the above, BUT it isn't ready yet.