Architectural forms

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Jan 6 23:26:04 GMT 1999

Andrew Layman wrote:

> If I understand this, the author is saying that the kinds of mappings
> achievable with architectural forms can also be achieved with XSL.  Is that
> correct?

This is more or less correct. XSL cannot implement the architectural form
mechanism, but I believe that anything you would want to do with archforms
could also be done with XSL -- for a particular DTD/archform pair. It
would be nice if an XSL stylesheet *could* do XAF-level generic
architectural form processing.

Note, however, that architectural forms are completely declarative and can
be implemented in a highly optimized fashion. The sorts of extensions that
Microsoft has proposed for XSL (<xsl:eval>...</>) would completely destroy
those features. Architectural mapping would, in general, be as reliable
and high performance as ordinary software -- (not at all).

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"You have the wrong number."
"Eh? Isn't that the Odeon?"
"No, this is the Great Theater of Life. Admission is free, but the
taxation is mortal. You come when you can, and leave when you must. The
show is continuous. Good-night." -- Robertson Davies, "The Cunning Man"

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)