Regulating the XML Marketplace

Borden, Jonathan jborden at mediaone.net
Fri Jan 8 15:12:09 GMT 1999

Simon,

	1) Its not that plumbing is unexiting and 2) Paul is just being honest.
Linux and Java are in the same boat at XML in terms of the fact that their
are different OS's and languages. Its not about the fact that something CAN
be done, for example, I COULD go back to coding assembler, and I would be
able to write programs, certainly SGML has been around for a while and has
had mostly a supraset of XML's capabilities. The real issue is the ease of
performing a task, and obtaining a momentum so that black boxes can become
connected.

	Perhaps because XML is plumbing, it has been able to gain its own momentum.
Who is the evangelist of the Web today? or of the Internet in general? or of
E-mail? Certainly their are market leaders and visionaries but for truly
important things, their importance can become self-evident.

	If I am building a house, the importance of installing plumbing is evident.

	Jonathan Borden
	http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)