Regulating the XML Marketplace

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Fri Jan 8 16:13:56 GMT 1999

I want to briefly add my two cents here. XML is about compatibility and
working together. Paul is 100 percent right. No killer apps. The most
exciting thing I ever see is deployment of interesting open documented XML
apps. The specs mean nothing until something gets deployed.

An example, I learned yesterday that DreamWeaver supports a plug-in
archictecture that's XML-DOM based. What does this mean? I have no idea!
But I'll learn about it because it's deployed in an app that lots of people
use.

It's what you do that isn't XML that gives your offering juice, if it's
connected to XML. That and how many and what kinds of people use it.

Just my opinion, of course.

Dave