Sneaking up on writers (was Into the fray...)

Buss, Jason A jabuss at cessna.textron.com
Tue Jan 12 20:15:07 GMT 1999

Actually, this solution is one of the proposed ideas for bringing our legacy
data into our SGML publishing system.  Once we really get to sit down with
the writer and try out the software with them and walk them through it, they
are surprised at the ease of authoring.  The idea I was trying to convey is
that normally you don't switch a publishing group to an all new concept of
creating documents without giving them heads-up, information, some time to
learn and understand before springing the new software on them.  All the
resources and materials I can find on the subjects seem to fill most writers
(and myself, originally) with a mixture of loathing and abject terror.  What
I am suggesting for the folks who are developing XML standards and apps is
creating documentation and books/papers/tutorials that are friendly to the
non/unprogrammer.  To ease them into the concept and syntax of XML without
making them confused or stupefied by technical jargon or allusions to
various programming languages/techniques.  Something they can read through,
absorb, then pick up a more technical, in-depth book or paper, and really
have an understanding of what is being offered.  When you start with
intensely technical materials, you find yourself going round and round with
various materials, reviewing the same ideas and concepts, looking for the
one that is presented in a manner that finally causes the epiphany.

Thanks for everyone's input,

Jason A. Buss
Single Engine Technical Publications
Cessna Aircraft Co.
jabuss at cessna.textron.com
"I don't have your solution, but I do admire your problem..."