XML media types revisited

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Thu Jan 14 23:52:42 GMT 1999

At 04:08 15/01/1999 , Simon wrote:

  | Which makes more sense?
  |
  | application/xml + sorting out DOCTYPE
  |
  | 	or
  |
  | xml/cml, xml/mathml, xml/xmi
  |
  | I don't expect the IETF to change this anytime soon, but it does seem like
  | something that could stand improvement.  XML isn't really a text format -
  | Tim Bray used to say, it's a replacement for ASCII.  I'm inclined to agree
  | with him here, and think that maybe XML deserves to be placed on the same
  | footing as ASCII, not underneath it.

Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, but:

What distinguishes cml, MathML, etc from any other
DTD?

ie, if we are looking at xml/mathml, why shouldn't
I expect to have:

	xml/myml
	xml/theirml
	xml/everyonesml

That is, if we are using the MIME type to distinguish
between DTDs, won't we need a type for _every_ DTD
that could be used for interchange?

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy