XML - NG

Michael.Kay at icl.com Michael.Kay at icl.com
Fri Jan 15 12:13:58 GMT 1999

> If XML is truly a subset of SGML, how come nsgmls - a paragon of SGML
> compliance - is not fully XML compliant?

The XML standard defines conformance rules for "XML documents" and "XML
processors".
The following statements are both true (I believe):
- every compliant XML document is a compliant SGML document
- no compliant SGML processor is a compliant XML processor

For example, a compliant XML processor is required to reject documents that
are not valid XML, even though they may be valid SGML.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)