XML media types revisited

Matthew Sergeant (EML) Matthew.Sergeant at eml.ericsson.se
Mon Jan 18 11:10:38 GMT 1999

	I've been thinking about this, and I think it's wrong. In a previous
life I programmed on the Amiga. They had a hunked file format called IFF
that was similar in some ways to XML, it allowed you to store structured
data in (binary) files, and had many applications:

	iff/ilbm - the standard bitmap graphic format
	iff/ftext - an rtf-like standard
	iff/dr2d - a 2d vector graphic format

	etc.

	Now we wouldn't have considered this as a top level mime type, just
because you used the same parser code to get at the data, because the data
represents _completely_ different things. So personally I think we should
just have:

	text/docbook
	image/vml
	application/x-resume (I'm working on a resume DTD if anyone's
interested)

	etc.

	Just my .02

Matt.
--
http://come.to/fastnet
Perl on Win32, PerlScript, ASP, Database, XML

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)