embed original XML in HTML converted by XSL

Shinichiro HAMADA shinichiro.hamada at toshiba.co.jp
Wed Jan 20 12:37:52 GMT 1999

Hello. Thank you for helping me everytime.

I asked you about XSL in "value of this in IE5b2-XSL script", but I don't
understand IE5's behavior very well on it, so I will change the solution
way.

What I want to do was following:

1 an XML source describes formated data.
2 gives the XML source to IE5 as direct browsing.
3 convert the XML src to table with a stylesheet.
4 when an image icon in a table row is clicked, XML source which correspond
  to it's row is output such as with alert().

So, I tried as following:

1 by XSL, convert XML src into HTML Table in which CSS source is linked.
2 in linked CSS source, onclick event handler is defined
  as CSS behavior-attribute (* IE5's new function)
3 and invisible <span> is embeded in the table row,
  and unconverted original XML source is embedded in it.
4 onclick handler reads <span>'s innerHTML and output.

In short word, I want to render XML's data as table and let event handler
process the XML source which corresponds to the event target.

But, I had no idea to embed XML source in the <span> at step#3 finally.

The reason why I tried to use XSL is that it seems impossible to layout data
as table with using CSS only. But if there is no way to achieve above with
XSL, I will give up to layout data into table.

Are there better way? Please give me any advices.
Thank you. Regards.

--
Shinichiro HAMADA