SAX: Next Round

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Jan 20 22:37:18 GMT 1999

David Megginson scripsit:

> I'd like to lose EntityResolver and DTDHandler (who uses them?), but I
> don't know if we can.

Nope, nope, nope.  In particular, I still have a project to finish
a standard EntityResolver that understands Socats.  By having such
a thing, you can fit Socat support into arbitrary applications using
arbitrary SAX parsers.  Keep it.  As for DTDHandler, it exposes
stuff that XML 1.0 requires a parser to expose.

> 1. Filter Interface

I propose a fourth alternative: provide ParserFilter as a helper
class, and don't have a separate interface.  Parser filters are
just parsers that have a "parser(Parser)" constructor.

One particularly nice feature of this is that it is the pattern
used by Java {Input,Output}Streams and Readers/Writers: Chain of
Responsibility.

> 2. Lexical Event Handler

I'll post on this later.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org