SAX: Next Round

uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Thu Jan 21 20:09:43 GMT 1999

> > I've been thinking about what new SAX interfaces we need the most
> > (with much prodding from users).  Here's what I think we need as a
> > minimum:
> >
> > 1. A standard filter interface (and perhaps an optional base class).
> > 2. A handler interface for lexical events like comments, CDATA
> >    sections, and entity references.
> > 3. Some kind of namespace support.
>
> I suggest the following:
>   4. an IDL definition of the SAX interface to allow a clean interface
>      for non-Java languages (like in the DOM REC).

Strongly seconded.  I would, however, mention that this effort should be more
careful than the DOM REC about leaving artifacts in the interface for certain
languages.  What I have in mind is the DOM REC's mess with regard to
attributes, which I heard was left in to give ECMAScript a leg-up.  This sort
of tinkering is an easy trap to fall into, and just ends up tripping up those
of us implementing in different languages, such as Python.

I guess today is the day to criticize W3C WGs.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)