Next Round

Bill la Forge b.laforge at jxml.com
Thu Jan 21 20:11:19 GMT 1999

>> >1. Filter Interface
>>
>> I agree with James that DocumentHandler is the appropriate place.
>
>But what if you want to filter DTDHandler, or the new LexicalHandler,
>or some combination?  By implementing Parser, you can do it all.
>See http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/ParserFilter.java .

John,

I've always thought using the Parser interface for filters was a bit heavy weight.
I wanted to keep filters very light so that the cost of doing things like namespace
and bunches of other things would be no greater than having them done inside
the parser, and yet give you a lot more configurability.

I also didn't think a lot of folks would be filtering DTD events, that is unless they got
extended.

But now I'm less convinced. And with lexical events, even if they were always combined
with document events, there would still be the backward compatibility issue for old filters.
And going with Parser for filters would make it easier to work with your code.

Mike, your input on  this would be especially appreciated!!!

Bill

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)