SAX: Next Round

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Thu Jan 21 21:25:24 GMT 1999

* Simon St.Laurent

| I think you may be doing too much to the filters themselves here;
| I'd really prefer to see this coordination performed by an external
| framework, like MDSAX (http://www.jxml.com/mdsax/).

To some extent I agree with this. However, I think the Filter
interface itself should be a part of SAX. The FilterManager, however,
is perhaps best left for external frameworks, since it will probably
be rather complex (especially once one starts with broadcasting and
filter trees instead of just filter chains), and might need optimizing
for different purposes.

And while we're on the subject of parser filter proposals, I put
together one in Python a while ago:

<URL:http://birk105.studby.uio.no/tmp/filters.zip>

| > 2. Lexical Event Handler
| > ------------------------
|
| I'd like to have startInternalEntity as well;

It will have to be endInternalSubset, since the internal subset is
processed first. :)

| >3. Namespace Support
|
| This seems like something better done by a filter layer, provided we
| can describe what the results of that processing should be.

I agree with David: this is something that belongs in parsers, partly
since they will have to be namespace-aware to do schema validation
properly.

You can still do this as a filter to get the exact interface you want.

--Lars M.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)